Skip to main content

Georgia Tech College of Design

Formerly known as the College of Architecture

Buildings and Facilities

The Georgia Tech campus is located in Midtown Atlanta, which is also the center of a prolific and creative arts scene. The music, movie, and technology industries are booming here -- something our students get to take great advantage of. In the panorama view above, the buildings that house the schools, research centers, and facilities of the College of Design can be seen stretching from Westside into the heart of Midtown Atlanta.

For specific way-finding and directions, visit the Georgia Tech campus map or download the Georgia Tech app from iTunes.

You can also schedule a visit to the College of Design or contact any of our schools or research centers directly.

Our Buildings


East Architecture Building

The East Architecture Building on Georgia Tech Campus.

Address: 245 Fourth Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332-0155
Contact: Nikkia Walker

Units located here: Dean's Office, School of City & Regional Planning

Fun fact: This building was designed by Georgia Tech Architecture Program directors P.M. Heffernan and J. Hubert “Doc” Gailey, and Harold Bush Brown. The building opened in 1952.

Facilities In This Location:

EAST ARCHITECTURE SHOP

The shop provides precision prototyping equipment for wood, plastics, and metal as well as a complement of rapid prototyping tools including laser cutters and 3D printers. It observes rigorous safety protocols and is supported by full-time and part-time staff members who conduct regular training sessions to ensure a safe and clean working environment.

STUBBINS GALLERY

Named in honor of Hugh Stubbins, an alumnus and strong supporter of the College, the Stubbins Gallery is a faculty-led exhibition space dedicated to showing innovative work in our disciplines, and to celebrate the work of our students, faculty, and alumni.

The room was intended as a venue for exhibitions when the Architecture East building was constructed in 1952, but in the intervening years it saw other uses. In 2014, it was restored to a gallery space.

REVIEW AREAS

Review areas allow students and faculty to show and critique their work in an open, reconfigurable space.

STUDIOS AND CLASSROOMS

Architecture East, Architecture West, and Hinman host large, open-plan collaborative areas for studio work and critique. Architecture East, Architecture West, Hinman, the John and Joyce Caddell building, and the Couch building also host traditional classroom spaces.


West Architecture Building

Address: 245 Fourth Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332-0155
Contact: Nikkia Walker

Units located here: School of Architecture, School of Industrial Design

Fun fact: This building was constructed in 1980 by Cooper, Carry & Associates, Inc. The firm's principal and chairman, Jerry Cooper, is a School of Architecture alumnus.

Facilities In This Location:

THE GALLOWAY CAFE

The Galloway Cafe serves hot and cold drinks, pastries and small lunches.

REVIEW AREAS

Review areas allow students and faculty to show and critique their work in an open, reconfigurable space.

STUDIOS AND CLASSROOMS

Architecture East, Architecture West, and Hinman host large, open-plan collaborative areas for studio work and critique. Architecture East, Architecture West, Hinman, the John and Joyce Caddell building, and the Couch building also host traditional classroom spaces.

LAB SPACE

The School of Industrial Design offers its students three separate lab spaces within the West Architecture building. The Interactive Product Design Lab, seen above, is run by School Chair Jim Budd and focuses on smart technologies and collaboration with engineers and computer scientists. The Body Scan Lab, run by Graduate Director Roger Ball, can scan and 3D print anything from a human head, to a cauliflower, and everything inbetween. The GM Human Computer Interface Lab, run by the Jim Oliver Professor of Practice, Wayne Li, is a transformable lab that studies how people fit into and use automobiles.

ARCHITECTURE LIBRARY

The Architecture Library is the only official branch library on campus. This library offers services, collections, instruction, and outreach targeted to the five schools within the College of Design. The Architecture Library also provides many of these functions for constituencies across the university and the larger community.

This unique collection has broadened beyond basic coverage of the most fundamental subjects (e.g. architectural history, theory, and practice) to include more emphasis on related fields (e.g. construction, urban and regional planning, landscape architecture, etc.), as well as newer areas of study (digital design & fabrication, new urbanism, health & design, high performance buildings, accessibility). The Library also attempts to acquire significant foreign-language publications to support global and multicultural studies in architecture.

COMPUTER LAB

The computer lab in Architecture West offers students machines with necessary software for in-class and off-class practice and instruction.

PRINTERS AND PLOTTERS

Printers and plotters are available to students and faculty in the College of Design.


John and Joyce Caddell Building

Address: 280 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332-0155
Contact: Lorie Wooten

Units located here: School of Building Construction

One of the newest buildings on campus, the John and Joyce Caddell Building is an excellent example of adaptive reuse. The exposed structure, heating and cooling systems, and real-time energy use boards serve as a learning environment for Building Construction students.

Fun fact: In addition to having one of the best views of Midtown on campus, this building is LEED Platinum.

Facilities In This Location:

FLEX SPACE

The main "flex space" area of the John and Joyce Caddell Building is a digital collaboration space with reconfigurable classrooms, virtual modeling software and interactive display technology.


Hinman Building

Address: 723 Cherry Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332
Contact: Kelli Nowviskie

Units located here: School of Architecture, Digital Building Lab

Fun fact: Originally built in 1939, this building was also designed by Georgia Tech Architecture Program Director Paul Heffernan. The building was renovated in 2010 and now houses School of Architecture studios, two School of Building Construction labs, and one School of Industrial Design lab.

Facilities In This Location:

REVIEW AREAS

Review areas allow students and faculty to show and critique their work in an open, reconfigurable space.

STUDIOS AND CLASSROOMS

Architecture East, Architecture West, and Hinman host large, open-plan collaborative areas for studio work and critique. Architecture East, Architecture West, Hinman, the John and Joyce Caddell building, and the Couch building also host traditional classroom spaces.


Couch Building

Address: 840 McMillan Street, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332-0155
Contact: Corissa James

Units located here: School of Music, Georgia Tech Center for Music Technology

Located in West Campus, the Couch Building is host to students from every major on campus, thanks to Georgia Tech's many musical ensembles. The School of Music also offers students Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and Ph. D. degrees in Music Technology, an exciting and growing field that combines music, computing, engineering, artificial intelligence, and entertainment industries.

Fun fact: This building was once an elementary school.

Facilities In This Location:

MUSIC PRACTICE ROOMS

Practice spaces ( rooms 104, 204, and 211) are available to students and faculty in the Couch Building, along with electric pianos and an upright piano.

RECORDING AND MIXING STUDIO

The Mixing and Recording Studio allows students to explore and enhance their understanding of the techniques needed to record a music performance, microphone techniques, signal processing, MIDI sequencing, sound design, and music for film.


Heffernan House

Address: 166 Fifth Street, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332
Contact: Bryan Croy

This historic, Bungalow home stores the College archive, and provides visiting professor lodging.

Fun fact: This was the home of Georgia Tech Architecture Program director P.M. Heffernan, who redesigned the Bungalow layout and designed some of the home's furniture.


Digital Fabrication Laboratory

Address: 676 Marietta Street, Atlanta, Georgia, 30381
Contact: Jake Tompkins

The Digital Fabrication Lab (DFL) is a College of Design facility for the fabrication and assembly of prototypes and mock-ups, ranging from human scale to building scale. This lab supports College of Design studios, electives, and research, through a 13,000 ft2 high bay shop, dedicated workspace and training on machines. Additionally, the lab houses a small structures and materials characterization lab.


760 Spring Street

Address: 760 Spring Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30308-1028
Contact CGIS or CQGRD

Units located here: Center for Geospatial Information Systems, Center for Quality Growth and Regional Development


512 Means Street

Address: 512 Means Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30318-5730
Contact AMAC or CATEA

Units located here: AMAC Research Center, Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access


828 West Peachtree Street

Address: 828 West Peachtree Street, NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30308-1129
Contact: Contact SimTigrate

Units located here: SimTigrate Design Lab